The Zimbabwe Herald reports that Nelson Chamisa and a big number of his senior leadership team were involved in a land scandal where they obtained residential stands without being on the Harare waiting list.
While some residents have spent over 20 years on the Harare Housing Waiting List, Councillors were allegedly able to get stands within 2 hours of application.
Some officials were also buying stands in bond notes and then selling them in USD.
It is likely that Chamisa and other implicated officials will be arrested soon as council officials have already been arrested.
The following senior officials have been arrested for criminal abuse of office.
- Mayor – Hebert Gomba –
- Human Resources Director – Mathew Marara
- Town Planner – Samuel Nyabeze
- Munyaradzi Bowa – Surveyor
Implicated MDC Alliance Officials:
All Councillors except for Ian Makone and Tracey Chagarisa
- Nelson Chamisa was allocated a 3 000-square-metre stand number 19740 in Gunhill.
- Starman Chamisa was allocated a 3 000sqm in Westgate although he had another one in Sunningdale.
- Denford Ngadziore received 36 stands where he sold the stands in USD and paid council in RTGS.
- Strathaven 30 residential stands were sold for US$30 000 , and councillors paid ZW$17 000 to council.
- Morningside , 4 residential stands (2000sqm) were sold for US$50 000 and councillors paid ZW$25 000.
- Hwende’s companies Hayes construction and Machado construction were given land to build flats and did not pay anything ( Hwende denied owning the company Hayes).
- Police, Prosecutor General and ZACC staff were also given residemntial stands.
- Mfundo Mlilo got a 3000sqm residential stand
- Pedzisayi Ruhanya got a residential stand without being on the waiting list
- Peter Moyo ( Mufakose), Thomas Mapfumo ( Glen Lorne) and Baba Harare (Mufakose) also got residential stands.
It is interesting to see what happens with this case. This appears to be a big problem in all cities such as Bulawayo and Chitungwiza. The funds that could have been obtained from land sales would have assisted with service delivery in these cities.
It is also unfair for people who are on the waiting list for connected officials to jump the queue.