In a shocking turn of development, Nelson Chamisa made a surprising about turn on recognizing Mnangagwa. Chamisa was speaking at his presentation in Mbare on the 21st of January 2020.
Chamisa has dropped legitimacy as a precondition for dialogue and has also asked international donors to help Zimbabwe in spite if the current dispute centering on the outcome of the 2018 Presidential elections.
Chamisa gave ED Mnangagwa up to May, during which time he will be giving dialogue a chance.
Chamisa revealed for the first time that both the Church initiative and the Thabo Mbeki initiatives were in limbo as Mnangagwa was refusing to meet with him.
Chamisa said the national Council of the MDC has now resolved to approach the Zimbabwe Military so that they (the military) can be part of the Dialogue.
On POLAD, Chamisa said he is wary that if he joins POLAD, he could be swallowed by ED Mnangagwa’s ZANU-PF. He also said including smaller parties in Dialogue was a waste of time.
Chamisa said he would be embarking on a Breaking Barriers Initiative and would participate in National clean up campaigns on the days announced by ED Mnangagwa.
Chamisa still insists that there should be a transitional mechanism to get Zimbabwe out of its current economic and political crisis.
– Chamisa gave a well articulated account of the issues facing Zimbabweans
– Chamisa announced a Performance Management program for MDC MPS
– Chamisa described the issues facing Councils and why MDC is failing to deliver
– Thokozani Khuphe not welcome in MDC Alliance and she can not be imposed by the courts
– The MDC will now focus on grassroots structures and there will no longer be imposition of candidates
– The “5 fights” announced, are more of political rhetoric
– Ncube, Thabitha Khumalo, Karenyi Kore, Mahere, Komichi, Mwonzora all absent
– Chamisa has cleared the way for talks with ED Mnangagwa
– Chamisa views the Zimbabwe Military as holding back the talks
– Chamisa has given has rejuvenated his base and did well to show leadership