WATCH LIVE as Gambakwe Media looks at the latest developments regarding the appointment of a new Zimbabwe Vice President to replace Kembo Mohadi.
The replacement of Zimbabwe’s VP has became topical as politicians and ordinary Zimbabweans continue to look for solutions to the current economic crisis.
Exiled former Zimbabwe Information Minister, Jonathan Moyo Tweeted that current CDF, Valerio Sibanda has already been appointed as the new VP and his the setting up of his office and recruitment of staff is underway.
The news was welcomed by many Zimbabweans who are desperate to see any signs of change in the current government of President ED Mnangagwa.
What is motivating the 2nd VP debate
There are a number of factors behind the emergence of the debate about a second VP in Zimbabwe. some of the reasons include:
- A number of players are positioning themselves for the post Mnangagwa era, as the President is going for his last term. A new Vice President will create new dynamics ahead of the elections.
- The ZANU-PF elective congress will be held in October in preparation for the 2023 elections. All leadership positions will be contested at the congress.
- Whoever is appointed as VP will be in the running to be next Zimbabwe President after the 2023 elections.
Is it necessary to appoint a new Vice President?
It is important for the second Vice President to be appointed becaue:
- This is because the workload for President Mnangagwa going into the 2023 elections will be even more due to the campaign program.
- Appointing a VP from ZAPU will enable the party to be more united ahead of the elections.
- Appointing the new Vice President will reduce factionalism.
Is CDF Valerio Sibanda the right candidate?
General Sibanda has not been active in ZANU-PF politics. He is more of a military man. he could fit in well, however, it may be difficult for him to claim the position if the appointment is on seniority basis.
The new Vice President will be the tenth VP since Zimbabwe’s independence. Previous Zimbabwe Vice Presidents include:
General Constantino Chiwenga
How second Vice Presidents are appointed
Second Vice Presidents are appointed in line with the unity accord that was signed between ZANU-PF and PF ZAPU. In the past, the most senior leader from ZAPU is appointed as the ZANU-PF second Vice President.
Using this criteria, at the time that John Landa Nkomo was replaced, the most senior PF ZAPU leaders in ZANU-PF were:
Other past leaders were:
Simon Khaya Moyo
Please watch the video above this post for more details