MDC-T President, Douglas Mwonzora, has been given the go ahead to join a government of national unity (GNU), with Zimbabwe President, ED Mnangagwa.
This comes after leaked resolutions of the MDC-T, revealed that Mwonzora was given the go ahead to join the Political Actors Dialogue (POLAD).
Leaked resolutions of the meeting held on 26 November 2021 have never been publicly communicated by the MDC-T and have not been circulated in the party.
The resolutions which were first leaked to Gambakwe Media read as follows:
RESOLUTIONS OF THE MEETING OF THE NATIONAL COUNCIL OF THE MOVEMENT FOR DEMOCRATIC CHANGE (TSVANGIRAI) HELD AT THE MORGAN RICHARD TSVANGIRAI HOUSE ON THE 26TH OF NOVEMBER, 2021
1. Having received a report on the consultations on National Dialogue done in the provinces from the President, the meeting resolved that the leadership should proceed with the dialogue agenda. This dialogue should be centred on people issues. The leadership should demand the restructuring of POLAD so that there is a creation of a platform of Political Parties in Parliament within the organisation in line with what is obtaining in ZEC. The dialogue process should also have specific time lines.
2. As the Ordinary Congress is now due, the meeting adopted the report of the Standing Committee that the congress processes leading to the Ordinary Congress be commenced immediately, with the Main Congress being held on or before the 5th of March, 2021. This is subject to legal opinion on whether certain timelines within the constitution can be truncated. The Standing Committee is authorised to make any changes if these are made necessary by the Covid 19 situation. Any proposed constitutional changes must be brought to the Secretary General for onward transmission to the Legal Committee.
3. The meeting acknowledged the restructuring process that has been done in the party so far. There was need for the Organising Committee working with the Office of the National Chairman to ensure compliance of the restructuring process with the template.
4. In line with the new political approach, the party will henceforth attend and participate fully in all events.
5. As the Covid 19 pandemic is far from over, the meeting resolved that the party would continue with its approach to the fight against the pandemic and that this fight must be completely depoliticised.
6. Having received the report on sanctions, the meeting resolved to continue on the path charted by Morgan Tsvangirai and our other forbearers and summarised in Article 4 of the Global Political Agreement of 2008 that sanctions are hurtful to the majority of our people and must be removed.
7. The party reiterated its desire to take over governmental power through peaceful, democratic and constitutional means, govern differently and change the lives of the Zimbabwean people for the better. To that end the party resolved to participate fully in all electoral activities in the country including by-elections. However, these electoral processes should be preceded by meaningful electoral reforms.
8. Having noted that the 2018 polling agents remained unpaid, the party resolved to pay the election agents. To that end, the provincial leadership must compile the list of all the polling agents for onward transmission to the Elections Directorate with immediate effect.MDC T NATIONAL COUNCIL RESOLUTIONS 26 NOVEMBER 2021
Mwonzora and his deputy, Dr. Thokozani Khupe have been engaged in a vicious power struggle, with Khuphe taking her case to the High Court in Bulawayo this week.
Dr Khupe filed two applications at the court this week, demanding to see the 26 November National Council resolutions and seeking an order preventing Mwonzora from recalling her and members of her faction.