US Secretary of State, Antony Blinken spoke at the University of Pretoria’s future Africa campus this afternoon.
Key Points from the statement.
- I have had the privilege to visit South Africa three times with President Obama, President Clinton and Vice President Joe Biden.
- Today I have the honor to present the USA strategy on Africa.
- Our future depends on young people. By 2050, one in four people in the world will be an African.
- Sub Saharan African Africa is a major geo-political force.
- Focus on what we want to do with African Nations and not what we can do for them.
- Today I will speak on the four priorities of the US strategy on Africa.
- 1st Priority – Focus on openness. African Nations have been told to pick a side. The USA will not dictate to Africans. The USA is partnering with African governments and private sector to improve the infrastructure of the internet, data centers and undersea cables.
- 2nd Priority – Working with Africans to fulfil the Promise of Democracy. Majority of Africans prefer democracy that is clear. The global fugility act will look befyong quick fixes. African country face real security threats. The answer lies in building capable security forces that respect the rights of citizens. The US will support such efforts. The answer is peaceful transfer of power through free and fair elections.
- 3rd Priority – Recovery from the Pandemic. More than 50 million Africans have been driven into poverty by the pandemic. This includes debt relief. This has already started in Zambia. The US is also sending humanitarian food assistance to Africa. Feed the future will invest $11 billion in Agriculture across Africa.
- Fourth Priority – Leading on clean Energy transition. – Africa is the most vulnerable region to the effects of climate change. The USA will work with African countries for more clean energy access. This is part of a Just energy transition.
The four priorities were championed by Africa first and today these are the world’s priorities.
Please watch the video above this post for more details.