– Married with 4 Children ( His Family Lives in Switzerland)
– 1985 Bsc Hons ( Commerce) – University of Zimbabwe
– 1986 Masters, philosophical economics, University of Cambridge
– PhD in Mathematical Finance, Cambridge
Career and Business History
– 2018 – Zimbabwe Finance Minister
– 1987,1988 Lecturer, University of Zimbabwe ( Public Finance)
– Founder – Barbican Bank ( Failed Bank)
– Founder – Selwyn Capital (Closed)
– MD, Quantum Global, Switzerland
– Dean, Professor of Finance, Wits Business School
– Portifolio Manager – Investec Asset Management
– Lecturer – London School Of Economics
– Visiting Scholar , Research Department , IMF
– Vice Chairman, Board, AERC, Kenya
– Chairman, Advisory panel on Ethics AFDB
– Board Member , South Africa FSB
– Chairman, WEF Global Agenda Council on sustainable development.
Books he has Written or Co-Written
– Monetary Policy and The Economy in South Africa
– Global Growth and Financial Spillovers and the South African Economy
– Global Economic Uncertainties and Financial Shocks
– The Emerging Middle Class In Africa
– Quantitative Easing and Its Effects in the US,UK, Japan
– In 2004, His Bank, Barbican Bank, was shut down by the Reserve Bank of Zimbabwe after failing to meeting liquidity requirements. Many depositors in Bulawayo lost their money which were trapped in the closed bank. The bank was later merged with other banks to form the ZABG.
– Many have argued that Mthuli Ncube is theoretical and is weak on strategy.
– In 2008, Mthuli Ncube accepted a Finance Minister position which many observed had no prospects of success in a politically mucky environment like that in Zimbabwe.
– Mthuli Ncube continues to travel between ZImbabwe and Switzerland where his family currently lives.
– Mthuli Ncube Continues to live in the expensive Miekles Hotel at the expense of the Zimbabwe Government
-Mthuli Ncube has reversed many of his policy positions after he was appointed. For example, he was originally opposed to the Bond note, but was later convinced to accept it.