Prominent South African politician Mmusi Maimane has called for free and fair elections in Zimbabwe.
This comes after President Emmerson Mnangagwa proclaimed 23 August the election date.
Mmusi said its their duty as South Africans to make sure elections in Zim are free and the days before the election are fair.
We have paid a very high price as South Africa because of ignoring rigging and supporting dictatorship in Zimbabwe.
What is a free and fair election?
– Release of all political prisoners.
– Free and equal access by opposition parties to all state owned media.
– No intimidation and use of violence in the townships and rural areas by party youth.
– no buying of votes in rural areas
– No use of spy agencies to target activists.
– Freedom of movement for election observers.
– digitally accessible and free access voters roll
– digital uploads of V11 forms from the voting station to ZEC and to local and international media platforms. As South Africa we have to side with democracy and stand for fully free and fully fair elections.
I call on South African media to play a robust role in covering this important regional election and to do so without fear or favor. To all Zimbabweans do everything you can to take part in this election. Voter turnout must be 100%.