WATCH LIVE as Gambakwe Media provides an update on the guns that were seized by Zimbabwe security services at Beitbridge on 29 August 2022.
This follows similar reports of a large consignment of weapons being intercepted on 16 July.
This follows by state security Minister, Owen Mudha Ncube, who said at the time that Chamisa was importing weapons into Zimbabwe in an operation termed Operation Lighthouse.
When press reports of the seized Beitbridge guns first appeared, security services denied the existence of the consignments of guns.
It has emerged that there is an ongoing court case regarding the guns.
Key points for discussion
1. Why is it so easy to smuggle guns into Zimbabwe?
2. What are the implications of the proliferation of guns in Zimbabwe?
Please watch the video above this post for more details.
1. The guns were initially ordered for the Presidential guard.
2. Three people have been arrested over the guns including military officers (Hope Goliath Mutize and Captain Leonard Matambo) for attempting to cover up the gun smuggling.
3. Military investigations have drawn a blank.
4. The guns were imported by the ZNA from gun runners, Gladman Chipidza, who gave the order to Gugulethu Mabhena. Mabena bought the 56 assault rifles from Spartan arms in Edenvale.
5. The guns were seized when Mabhena was bathing at the border and failed to produce documents for the guns.