An 8-year-old girl was severely burnt  by underground coal fires in Hwange.

The girl, whose name could not immediately be established, is reported to have gone to a nearby bush to relieve herself close to an old mine dump when the ground collapsed underneath her feet resulting in her falling into the dumpsite and being burnt by an underground coal fire.

According to multiple sources her sister came to her rescue as she acted quickly and dragged her out of the burning coal.

 

The sources also said the girl was quickly rushed to Hwange Colliery Hospital. This was a very serious accident as she suffered severe burns while her clothes and shoes were left in the pit.

 

Hwange residents said the lack of water and poor sanitation at most communal toilets in areas under HCCL concession areas is forcing them to practice open defecation near these old unsecured mine dumps.