The wife of fugitive Malawian Prophet, Shepherd Bushiri, last week lost R225 000 after it was seized by the South African Reserve Bank and was deposited to the national revenue fund.
According to a government Gazzette issued on the 15th of March:
Notice of Forfeiture to the State of money in terms of the provisions of Exchange Control Regulation 22B made under Section 9 of the Currency and Exchanges Act, 1933 (Act No. 9 of 1933), as amended, as promulgated by Government Notice No. R.1111 of 1961-12-01 in respect of the money of:
Ms Mary Bushiri (Identity number 8108231062186) of: 1585 Midfield Gate Halfway House, Gauteng 1692
Be pleased to take notice that:
1. The Minister of Finance has, by virtue of the provisions of Exchange Control Regulation 22E
delegated all the functions and/or powers conferred upon the Treasury by the provisions of the
Exchange Control Regulations [with the exception of the functions and/or powers conferred upon
the Treasury by Exchange Control Regulations 3(5) and (8), 20 and 22, but which exception does
not include the functions and/or powers under Exchange Control Regulations 22A, 22B, 22C and
22D], and assigned the duties imposed thereunder on the Treasury, to, inter alia, the Governor or
the Deputy Governor of the South African Reserve Bank.
2. By virtue of the functions, powers and/or duties vested in me, in my capacity as the Deputy
Governor of the South African Reserve Bank, in terms of the delegation and assignment of the
functions, powers and/or duties referred to in 1 above, I hereby give notice of a decision to forfeit
to the State the following money and I hereby declare and order forfeit to the State the following
2.1 the amount of R225 680.92, in account number 1133405991 held with Nedbank Limited
standing to the credit of Ms Mary Bushiri with identity number 8108231062186, together with any
interest thereon and/or other accrual thereto.
3. The date upon which the money specified in 2 above is hereby forfeited to the State is the date
upon which this Notice of Forfeiture is published in this Gazette.
4. The money specified in 2 above shall be disposed of by deposit thereof to the National Revenue
5. This Notice also constitutes a written order, as contemplated in Exchange Control Regulation 22B,
in terms of which the money specified in 2 above is hereby forfeited to the State.
6. Signed at Pretoria on this day of 15 March 2021.