A showdown is looming in the MDC-T, and the party os about to be gripped by a lot of uncertainty due to various factors, specifically the extra-ordinary congress.
Factors that will lead to fights between Mwonzora and Khuphe
- Douglas Mwonzora is responsible for getting Khuphe back into MDC-T
- Khuphe will most likely lose at the extra-ordinary congress. Will she accept to revert to being Mwonzora’s VP?
- Khuphe has already appointed herself into key parliamentary and Senate positions. These are central positions that give her an advantage over Mwonzora.
- The two differ on Chamisa. Khuphe wanting to take over totally and Mwonzora wanting negotiations with Chamisa
- Khuphe and Mwonora differ on POLAD
2 centres of Power
- After Congress, if Mwonzora wins, this create 2 centers of power. Mwonzora will be in Parliament while Khupe will be in charge in Parliament and in Senate.
- Khuphe is likely to continue in POLAD if she loses at the Extraordinary congress.
- The congress could fail to go on altogether
Congress Processes and Dates
31 Dec – EOC
9 October – National Executive Council
11 October – National Council
Candidates nomantions – 24 October 29 November
Nominations in 15 provinces.
24 Oct 2020 – Mat North
25 Oct – Bulawayo
31 Oct – Mar South
7 Nov – Midlands South
8 Nov – Mash West
14 Nov – Mash Central
15 Nov – Mash East
21 Nov Harare
22 Nov – Chitungwiza
29 Nov – Masvingo